kimmysphere


The art of photography has always been a continuing fascination of mine, since I was a child. I’ve always had an appreciation for photographer’s use of compositions and lighting. Of course at that young age, I didn’t truly understand what those terms meant. To me, it was just a pretty picture. It was only when I was older did I fully comprehend that the picture was only pretty because it was taken in a deliberate and specific way as dictated by the photographer. And like any avid photographer will assure you, the tool (camera & lens) you use also aids you in reaching that ‘perfect’ picture stratosphere. I’ve always wanted an SLR, but back in those days, they were extremely bulky and way out of my budget. That has always been the dominating factor which deterred me from entering into amateur photography. However, after many years of admiration for the profession, I finally had enough monetary resources to fund this new venture. About a year ago, after much encouragement from Nana, I bit the bullet and bought myself a Canon 50D. After aggressive haggling with a few stores, I managed to nab the camera for close to cost price!

Next on the agenda was to buy some lenses so I could begin learning and taking pictures. I shopped around and found a store on ebay (they were based in Singapore) which sold the lenses I wanted for a good price. I decided to purchase the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and the Canon 50mm f1.8.



All this transpired roughly one year ago. What has happened in the space of then until now, I hear you ask? The answer is a resounding NOTHING! Early on, I was completely consumed with learning the ‘science’ of photography and found it remarkable interesting. I did numerous online research on it and read amazing photography blogs as well as essays on photography. I was slowly beginning to grasp the fundamentals of the art. But, like any artsy fields, you also need a natural artistic flair to create amazing things. Artistic flair, which I felt I had none. Even with the fundamental knowledge of photography under my belt, I continued to struggle with producing photographs which I could be proud off. This underachieving feeling lingered with me as I progressed, it dampened my spirit to keep absorbing and learning about photography. Consequently, my passion for photography began to slowly but surely fizzle out. Then one of the few major moments of my life occurred, I got married and we finally moved into our very own home. My priorities changed and photography suffered the consequences.

It wasn’t until last night when I was having a chat with Muy, and she was voicing her eagerness to also purchase herself a dslr and try her luck with amateur photography. It was through the grace of this conversation that my withering passion, this old forgotten flame was slowly getting reignited. The conversation brought back all the enthusiasm and emotions I used to have for photography. The eagerness to learn and one day take remarkable photos which I can claim as my own. Also with Spring in the air, and longer days due to day light saving, I would have more time on my hands to experiment and persist with compositions and lighting. It’s safe to say that my passion has been reinstated back into its rightful place! I will once again endeavor into the amateur photography path. Fingers cross that Muy buys a dslr soon so that she can join me in the learning process. I will attempt to regularly post photos of what I’ve captured, if I deemed them worthy enough of viewing J

Keep watching this space!

xox
♥ ♥
Labels: | edit post
12 Responses
  1. ptang Says:

    It's good to have high standards...but sometimes you gotta give us all some credit and acknowledge our appreciation of your shots...they're great!

    Keep Snapping!

    But stop buying lenses! Makes Eng play keeping up with the Joneses...then I suffer. Ha!


  2. Eng Says:

    Wow...3 posts within 1 month..I'm impressed! haha maybe there is hope for your blog!

    Yes lazy ass, get snapping and post your picks up, you already know how jealous I am of your pictures!

    I still haven't gotten the tamaron lense yet...*hint**hint**nudge**nudge* PAUL


  3. kimmysphere Says:

    Thanks, but my shots aren't that great. I'm hoping to really get back into it and keep trying. One day, I can look at a shot and go 'wow I really love this shot!' Thanks for the encouragement tho, I really need it

    Wow Eng, I'm surprised you're still reading my blog! I thought you had abandon me, coz I never hear from you. But Paul, on the other hand, is showing me alota love. Motivates me to update

    haha so i guess Eng you havent sold your camera! Come on P, its the lens that will make Eng's photos amazing!! ha ha


  4. kimmysphere Says:

    Oh, and Eng, if you look closely, you'll see that I've made FOUR posts this month! hehe


  5. ptang Says:

    I met a pro photographer in S.Africa back in the day when I was traveling.
    He does a lot of celeb shots and was also briefly on the team that took shots of the Bush Administration.

    This guy was crazy. He'd hang out of helicopters and stuff to get shots.

    He told me that to get good photos you just keep shooting and sooner or later one turns out.

    He took millions of shots during safari and was only happy with like 10 of them.

    What I'm trying to say is don't be so hard on yourself.

    Eng..if you got the lens will you start taking shots of me that didn't lower my self esteem?


  6. kimmysphere Says:

    Yea great piece of advice!

    That's what the photographers say. You just have to go out there and keep taking those shots. The thing with photography is that the theory cant really help you much, its all about practice. Thanks P.

    I usually such a perfectionist, if something is not good, I hate showing people it. I like to be good at what I do, and if i cant be good, I give up. Such a terrible trait to have.

    ha ha Paul you need to find your perfect pose!


  7. It was great to see the DSLR come out today hun! I really do think that you have a natural flair for heaps of artsy fartsy stuff. Photography being one of them! You must get sick and tired of me when i ask you "why is this pic too dark/bright!?" hahah. When i get mine i'll start researching also and then maybe one day i will be able to show you how to use it! One day!!!!

    Keep it up seriously! You do take amazing shots and like i said 'photos last forever unlike this memory of mine'

    I'm really excited about getting my own DSLR then i can start posting nice pics on my blog instead of taking peoples pics of Facebook! hahah!


  8. Oh btw.. your blog is AWESOME! Keep it up xx


  9. kimmysphere Says:

    Wow what were you doing up so late!!

    Thanks babes! Thanks for all the encouragement about photography and this blog!! Hehe you show me how to use the dslr? That would be the day haha but I look forward to it.

    Yea get yours soon so we can practice together. You slowly learning and you have a good appreciation of photography so you'll take amazing shots soon


  10. I can't wait to start snapping away with you!

    Oh btw, i better ask before i forget, i never got an email notification saying that you also made a comment on this blog. I might need you to show me how to set it up :)


  11. kimmysphere Says:

    Yea it should be a good summer this year!

    Hrmz sorry love, but i dont know how to do that. I just go into your blog reguarly and see whether you've replied or not! haha


  12. Fi Says:

    If you ever need a model, call me! lol...