kimmysphere

A new year means new beginnings, new resolutions to make and break. I was lying in bed one idyllic morning, too restless to fall back asleep, and too lethargic to get out of bed. So I laid there, admiring my little comprehensive book shelf. It appears that my over-abundance books have incapacitated the bookshelf and has overflowed onto my desk. There are no surprises when I say that I love to read, but it appears that my passion for buying books has surely surpassed my passion for reading them. I get giddy at the thought of my very own library in my new house, I will have abundant shelf space to house all my treasured books! But for now, my beloved little birthday present bookshelf will just have to suffice.


It did however bring me to the sad realization that I’ve neglected my reading duties of late. Granted that some books have been picked up, chapters have been read and enjoyed, but none that has been read to its final conclusions. I’ve started and stopped numerous books, the reason: I drive into work. This translates into less valuable time spent enjoying the books on the trains. This lead me to think, all these marvelous books sitting here in disregardance, feeling absolutely no love from me; it’s high time that I changed my phase and pick up reading once again.
It really saddens me to even think that my books could be metamorphosing themselves, right before my very eyes, into (god forbid) ordinary house-hold ornaments *gulp!* >.<’
I’ve always loved to read, since I was a child. My dad use to take me to the library once a week and I would bring back various books to occupy myself for that week. My taste in books and its contents may have evolved throughout the years, but the same passion still burns inside me. I love immersing myself in literacy greatness, to be transported to a fictitious world which was far greater than mine. My first resolution which I will try and accomplish this year: READ MORE of my books!! I will try to reinstate my original passion of reading to overthrow my passion of purchasing books.

Below is a list of SOME of the unread books which I own and treasure. I've been meaning to read these books but simply haven't had the chance to. Once I’ve read them, I will highlight them in red and write a book review on it. My aim is to read as many of the books on this list as I can this year. For those who enjoy reading, you should join me in this crusade and try and read these books also. These books all come highly recommended by others, they are either best-sellers, cult fiction, or literacy winning novels in their respective genres. Therefore, I’m sure they will be both enjoyable and extremely well written.

In no particular order:
Catch 22 : Joseph Heller
The memory keepers daughter : Kim Edwards
Nineteen Eighty-Four : George Orwell
The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas : John Boyne
Extremely Loud & Incredibly close : Jon Safan Foer
The God of Small things : Arundhati Roy
The Grapes of Wrath : John Steinbeck
Year of Wonders : Geraldine Brooks
The Book Thief : Markus Zusak
Shantaram : Gregory David Roberts
Rebecca : Daphne Du Maurier
White Oleander : Janet Fitch
A Tale of two cities : Charles Dickens
We need to talk about Kevin : Lionel Shriver
The Unbearable Lightness of Being : Milan Kundera
Vermon God Little : DBC Pierre
The Pact: Jodi Picoult
Life of Pi : Yann Martel
A Confederacy of Dunces : John Kennedy Toole
The Secret History : Donna Tartt
Love in the Time of Cholera : Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Princess Bride : William Goldman
Everything is Illuminated : Jon Safran Foer
Water for Elephants : Sara Gruen

There are 24 books here which I will try my darn hardest to read, at least some of them this year. Wish me luck!! Let me know if you're reading any of these books and what your thoughts were on them.
Labels: | edit post
13 Responses
  1. Muysta Says:

    Good luck on your reading!
    I won't be following you on your reading journey! Just by reading the title of the books that you listed it doesn't compel me to go out and buy it although you did suggest that i pick up a hot and saucy romance novel once cos i'm corny like that! hahha. Was any of those books a romance novel?


  2. kimmysphere Says:

    LOL, what? Did I not write that post well enough to promote reading? haha what did i do wrong? How should i write to get pplz excited about following me with this reading list?

    No its not on my list but I do have it. Its called The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simmons. You can borrow it anytime darling!!


  3. cupcakes Says:

    I can't even remember when I last read a good book. That's how long ago it was! Still trying to complete 'the memory keepers daughter'. How slack am I?

    Seeing your photos makes me wanna start my own book shelf....(don't know what Kimmie is going to say?) I'll just tell him, you've encouraged me...*wink*


  4. kimmysphere Says:

    Well Fi, this list will benefit ya. If you dont know what to read or buy, try one of the books in my list. Some of them are quite dense but if you persist, you might enjoy it!

    haha man you got kimmie wrapped around your little finger. i'm sure he'll say nothing if you want to buy books, especially coz he spends so much on his fishing!!


  5. Soobies Says:

    hey! i'm reading The Book Thief right now!! Angus & Robertson were having a sale and so i bought 3 books for the price of 1, pretty good yea??
    to make up the 3 books i also bought The Time Keeper's Wife and some other fluffy book about a single 30yr old i think haha

    best of luck with the reading marathon! and i hope u make it through at least half of the books on ur list =D
    i'll be following your reading journey!

    xoxo
    su


  6. Soobies Says:

    oops, i meant 3 books for the price of 2 haha
    my bad!


  7. kimmysphere Says:

    LOL omg i was going to say, if there was a sale of 3 books for 1, why didnt you tell me coz that's CHEAP!!!

    So did you finish 'we need to talk about Kevin'? what did you think of the book?

    Yea i heard that the book thief was really good, cant wait to read it! Let me know if you like it. I've read time traveller's wife, abit confusing at first but a REALLY good read!!!

    I thought you would like this post! haha


  8. cupcakes Says:

    haha....fishing gears, tell me about it. The list is endless!

    Maybe I'll just wait till you finish the books and you can tell me about it. If it sounds interesting then I'll read it. I like your taste anyway..:D


  9. Muysta Says:

    you should upload a pic of your NEW bookcase! hahhaa... it shits bricks on this one!!!


  10. I think you should also blog about books that your DON'T have but wouldn't mind getting!!! LMAO!


  11. kimmysphere Says:

    LOL and maybe i'll write it in caps so that people can not accidentally mistake it for books that i do have?!! haha


  12. kimmysphere Says:

    LOL and maybe i'll write it in caps so that people can not accidentally mistake it for books that i do have?!! haha


  13. ok ok i get it!!! Sheezaz!!! You didn't have to say it twice! hahha